This is my work in progress #4.
When Patty Sloniger's Backyard Baby line came out, I was enchanted. The soft colors are beautiful, the patterns are incredibly detailed and it was just perfect for little boys (and I have a little boy).
I bought a bunch of half yards and then looked for a good pattern.
I pinned this one and got started cutting half-hexies, which I guess are rhombuses (rhombi?).
I can tell you, I'm not a fan of piecing triangles/diagonal lines, but I did it. After my initial layout on the floor of our family room, I decided it needed a few more hexies and a splash of orange, which should maybe be a theme of my quilting. So I added a few of the orange snake print to break up the muted colors.
The top has now been done for well over a year. I found a great length of blue and gray striped seersucker for the backing that coordinates perfectly but I've been avoiding making a batting and quilting decision.
The fabric seems very summery to me, as does the backing, so I want this to be a lightweight blanket. I'm contemplating just using a white flannel as batting for a flat, light cover or looking for a lightweight batting with a little more loft.
Then there's the quilting decision. Obviously seersucker already has a texture so I think a stipple might be too much. So maybe I'll just stitch in the ditch. Or something else? Any suggestions?


No comments:
Post a Comment