This was an end of the year finish in 2013.
I manage a small team of employees and one of them is having a baby girl. They are using a lot of blues, and kind of a Pixar theme, so I decided to make a quilt with bold colors.
At the same time, I was working on an aqua and orange helix quilt, so I had those colors in mind, but didn't want to do another white background quilt. So I branched out to navy, since I thought that would make the colors pop.
I originally was going to do big stars and then some variable size stars like the one in the upper left corner, but I ran out of Kona navy fabric and my local JoAnn fabrics didn't have any. I bought another navy cotton, but it wasn't a great match, so I decided to do reverse blocks instead.
I actually love how it turned out because it looks more improvised to me.
It's quilted with an allover meander in aqua thread. The backing fabric is an orange button print, which is a little bit more country than I would normally pick, but this employee's camp name is Buttons, and her office baby shower theme was "cute as a button" so it worked out perfectly.
Linking up to: http://www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2014/01/can-i-get-whoop-whoop-baby-steps.html and http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2014/01/3-is-magic-number-finished.html.

Fab quilt! Don't you just hate that when JAF runs out of a Kona color and you are left with the question of what to do now??! Very annoying.
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, once I finished the quilt, they got some in stock!
DeleteLove the stars and the fabrics--what a great quilt!
ReplyDeleteI love the reverse blocks. They add so much impact. People will think you always meant to do that.
ReplyDeleteLovely quilt- I really like the navy blue- it really does make those orange stars twinkle and so much more practical for a baby than white.
ReplyDeleteBrigid, this is gorgeous. Love the colours! Keera
ReplyDelete