Thursday, January 16, 2014

First 2014 finish--blue gingham baby quilt

When I decided to do the fabric fast, I took a good look at my stash. I have a reusable shopping bag of fabric set aside to destash but I decided to take one more look and found the bright blue duck print. I always thought it was cute but didn't have anything to mix it with.



But the fabric fast got me to take another look! I put it together with a fat quarter of a pale blue nursery print I picked up at JoAnn Fabric during a 99 cent fat quarter sale, a blue baby themed text print and some other light blue scraps. I have seen some cute gingham pattern quilts made with solids and thought it could be cute in baby fabrics. 



This was a really quick project for me. I pieced the quilt top in one morning, and then added borders, basted, quilted and bound today. Quilting (free motion random stippling) took less than 1.5 hours, which is a record for me. 


The backing is a Crate and Barrel outlet find. It's a perfect baby quilt backing that is a yellow to blue ombré.



It will go to a friend who is having a little boy this spring. 

It's not the best quilt I've ever made, and I don't think it turned out quite how I hoped it would, but it's cute, warm and snuggly, and celebrates a new little baby with love.

Linked to http://www.confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com/2014/01/can-i-get-whoop-whoop-ministry-quilts.html and 

3 comments:

  1. I think the quilt is adorable. It's amazing how creative we can all be when we work with the constraint of only using our stashes. I love how wonderfully crinkly the quilt looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I have been working through my blue stash this month. I will have to try a quilt like this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so lovely. I'm often looking for baby quilts and this fits the bill so well. I really like the stash idea, that's my plan too, we'll see how long I last!

    ReplyDelete