I am working on a quilt "commission." I put that in quotes because my aunt requested it for my cousin Ian. She asked for robin's egg blue, yellow and brown. Trying to remain true to my fabric fast, I shopped my stash first, and was happy to find about a yard of a pretty blue, some brown left over from another project, and an assortment of blue and yellow squares from my scrap stash (I did cut a couple from yardage). I also was grateful to receive some yellow squares from some guild mates and quilting friends for my rainbow quilt, and the extra were perfect for this.
I am trying to be better about documenting my "process," so here are some pictures!
Here are the blocks as I was laying them out. I still needed to cut more blue strips for between the brown blocks on the bottom, and to measure for the brown side pieces for the brown rows. I think I also moved a few blocks around to balance the colors.
Laying out the rows.
While sewing rows together. I sew in our guest room, so the guest bed is an integral part of the process.You can see a few old quilts piled up in the background. I'm trying to figure out what to do with some of them -- it might be time for a big Project Linus donation.
Finished quilt top (and a nice view of my son's play toolbench)! I need to find a good backing fabric for this - I have a brown wood grain in mind that will make a nice binding. This was a pretty fast finish. It's based on the Chain Linked pattern by Amy Smart at Diary of a Quilter, but I kind of figured out the proportions on my own.
As I mentioned, this is for my cousin, so I will be trying to finish it up soon to get it shipped out to Ohio for him.
Linked up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and Sew Fresh Quilts Let's Bee Social and to Fabric Frenzy Friday.





Wow this is one complicated piecing. It looks great!
ReplyDeletelove those colors, and such a great pattern for a guy's quilt!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove how your quilt is going together. Great selection of colors.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on rocking the stash. :) Looking good.
ReplyDeleteThe colours go so very well together, good luck with the finishing - cant wait to see it quilted.
ReplyDeleteYou rocked this design! Love the colour choices. I really enjoyed seeing the progress shots. Ian will love it!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great. I love the design and it's perfect for a man.
ReplyDeleteIt looks great. I love the design and it's perfect for a man.
ReplyDeleteThose colors really work well together! Love how this turned out! :) I'm sure it will be well loved! :)
ReplyDeleteWould love for you to stop by and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
-Lindsey
Fabric Frenzy Friday
Perfect colors for a manly quilt!! Going to have to check out the link :)
ReplyDelete