Thursday, February 27, 2014

Throwback Thursday - First Quilt

I've seen a few bloggers do this, so I am going to do it too!

When I was pregnant with my (long-awaited) son, I wanted to decorate his room in a woodland theme. I couldn't find bedding that would work, so deluded by pregnancy  hormones, I thought "How hard could it be to make something?"

So I googled easy baby quilt and found a strip quilt that looked simple, got my mom's old sewing machine that is as old as I am, and went off to Joann Fabrics. I wanted orange, blue and green.



I remember being very careful about the measurements of the strips so they were exactly what the tutorial said. Now, 35 quilts later, many of which are improvised or figured out as I go along, that makes me smile.

I straight line quilted it with my regular sewing machine foot, and did the binding that way, too. It took me several hours to finish over a few days.

It lives in my son's room still - more than three years after I made it. He has never really slept with it, but he carries it around sometimes, and uses it to play with. I am sometimes tempted to grab it and "fix" it, but I won't.

I do want to do a better photo shoot, though-- I took this right after I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment