Thursday, October 17, 2013

I love S'More Love.

A coworker of mine is expecting a baby, which is wonderful. What is also wonderful is that she works in camping and the S'More Love line by Cosmo Cricket for Moda came out just as I started thinking about what kind of camp-themed quilt would be fun to make. I love when a fabric line I think is really cute is also perfect. She is also not telling gender, and I think it is gender-neutral. I would definitely use this for my son, but I think it's really cute for girls, too.

I took a detail shot of the backing, which is so cute, and so appropriate for a Girl Scout mom -- Girl Scouts invented S'Mores, after all!



I followed Katie Blakesley's 100 Quilts for Kids tutorial. This was a really easy quilt to put together. I don't think it took more than 3-4 hours total, although I did it in 15-20 minute increments here and there. I am a relatively slow quilter, so it was nice to have something that felt simple.



I used a charm pack, some neutral solids I had, and filled in the extra charms needed with a few fabrics from my stash. I'm really pleased with how they coordinated, and don't think anyone who isn't obsessed about fabric would ever notice.












For the backing, I used yardage of the Cabin Fever stripe and broke it up with another solid (bought from Del Ray Fabric's specials page, but I can't remember what it is. It's got a nice texture and I wish I'd bought more!). It's bound in a Denyse Schmidt for JoAnns Meadowlark Circle. This is one of my favorite fabrics. In my quilting life, orange is truly a neutral, so finding a great orange print is excellent.



It is straight-line quilted, and is the first time I've straight line quilted without bunching up fabric terribly. I did criss-crosses in the squares and did lines in the solids.

I am really happy with it and will be giving it to the recipient today!





No comments:

Post a Comment