Monday, March 31, 2014

Blue and orange quilt finished! - 2014 finish #3


In my last blog post, I mentioned that I was working on a blue and orange quilt for a friend who is a big Syracuse fan. It is finally done! This is finish #3 for 2014 (blogged). I have two more finished except for burying threads, and will post those very soon.

I was inspired by the bento box patterns I've seen around the internet, but I modified it by varying the width of the strips. I love the movement it gives to the quilt.

I quilted this with a squared meander. I was having a heck of a time quilting - my thread kept breaking and I was cursing my machine. I finally got through it after changing my needle, rethreading, etc. Then I started quilting another and the same thing happened--so I changed my needle again to a larger size and it was all better. The quilting could have been much nicer if I had thought to do that earlier, but I'm not going back.

I am giving this to my friend tomorrow night - he and his wife moved to the DC area about a year or so ago and we haven't seen each other yet. We all became internet friends more than 10 years ago on a Usenet newsgroup, and met in person a few times. I lost touch with them but found them again through facebook. I'm excited to see them, and hope they like the quilt and the thought behind it.


Front of quilt - they are about 15.5 inch blocks, so it's 46.5 x 62 or so.




Closeup
Backing- I love these giant polka dots by Marrimekko.
The Crate and Barrel outlet usually carries multiple colors.

Linked to:

IMG_6373 Sew Cute Tuesday

Fresh Poppy Design

8 comments:

  1. I love it! My 17 year old would love that quilt. Orange has always been her favorite color. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Orange is one of my favorite colors, too. I've made 4 blue and orange quilts and I'm sure I'll do more.

      Delete
  2. Those look like fun blocks to make. Good job on a finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is always a little scary to cut up a sewn and pressed block, but I am happy with the result.

      Delete
  3. The movement in this quilt is awesome! I am getting ready to do a fractured log cabin in oranges and yellows. . . your addition of the solid makes this top sing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the contrasting colors. It almost looks like it's rippling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I wasn't expecting it to have so much movement, but I'm so happy with how it turned out!

      Delete