This quilt came from a quilt magazine I bought when I was pregnant or when my son was very little. They had this argyle quilt pattern and I loved everything about it. Looking at it now, it's pretty good for a novice. I like my color choices (although I took a lot of inspiration from the magazine), I definitely didn't do points well, and the ruffling was difficult for me and turned out kind of unevenly, even with a lot of pinning. And I didn't have a free motion quilting foot yet, so I straight(ish) line quilted it.
I remade this quilt pattern a few months later with ribbon instead of ruffled strips and this was the result:
This quilt actually won a blue ribbon in the county fair in 2012 in the baby quilt category. The judges' feedback was to work on my points and binding (which is fair enough!). I absolutely adore this quilt pattern and think it's such a great, modern-feeling quilt. It was also my first blue and orange quilt!
I have quilty bucket list plans to remake it in boy fabrics - reds, yellows and blues. I have been on the hunt for some specialty ribbon -- trains, construction equipment or rocket ships -- to make it really fun.
Both of these are now living in my guest room. I don't want to give up the blue ribbon quilt, and the first one isn't good enough to give away. I have contemplated requilting it, because that's the main thing I am not happy with, but it is way down on my priority list.


No comments:
Post a Comment