A friend is fighting cancer and because I am generally helpless about what to do in these situations, I decided to make a quilt. He loves Syracuse and wears a lot of blue and orange, so I looked on Pinterest for inspiration. A bento box quilt came up and I decided to make it.
As always, I'm too cheap to buy a pattern, so I winged it. Everything was from my stash, and the blue plaid I had actually gotten from a freecycled bag of fabric. I love my oranges and they are set off so well by the blue.
I've made four blue and orange quilts now. The first two were aqua and orange and the second navy, aqua and orange. So using this medium blue shade is new, but I love how it turned out. It turns out I only had these two prints in my stash as I apparently don't buy that color blue; luckily it was enough (and I have some left).
I am backing it in a giant orange tone on tone polka dot from the Crate and Barrel outlet. And bought a blue polka dot for binding.
I cut and pieced basically in one day. Because I'm a sloppy piecer, my squares didn't line up very accurately, but overall, I love how it looks.
Linked to
its a gorgeous quilt. Lovely colours and intriguing pattern
ReplyDeleteAaaah, the Bento Box. I love your version and the way you "wing" it. The little narrow strip adds character to the quilt.
ReplyDeleteLoving that color combination.
ReplyDelete